There’s been a lot of hype recently regarding the Vaportini as an alternative method of consuming alcohol. Why so? Well, the Vaportini is an alcohol vaporizer that allows users to inhale alcohol via its vaporization method. As mentioned in our other article, ‘The Best Alcohol Vaporizer,” (focusing on the Vape Shot Pump)” there are many benefits to consuming alcohol in this manner. However, in this article, we’ll focus on the Vaportini’s key features, how it works, other comparable devices, and whether or not this is something you should buy.
How it works
As shown by the figure to the right, the Vaportini is a hollow glass orb that sits on top a glass pint holding a candle. By using a funnel, you fill the orb with your desired spirit. The lit candle heats up the orb, which then warms and vaporizes the alcohol via thermal conduction. After approximately five minutes of heating, there will be enough vaporized alcohol ready for consumption/inhalation. You’ll know this when you start to see condensation build up within the orb. To consume: use the glass Vaportini straw (included with purchase) to gently inhale the vapor. You may also use any other straw that fits in the orb’s access hole. Just make sure that if you decide to use plastic straws, you don’t leave them touching the orb’s base as it could melt from the candle’s heat.
The Buzz and Experience
Now to the juicy stuff: the buzz, experience, and how it feels. If you’ve ever vaped alcohol before, you’ll know the Vaportini offers an almost identical experience to other alcohol vaporizers. However, there are some notable differences.
Because the Vaportini uses heat to vaporize alcohol, you feel a warm flow of vapor flowing into your lungs when inhaled. With it, comes the flavor of your chosen spirit that you can taste at the top of your pallet. As with all alcohol vaporizers, this experience comes without the bite you might experience from swallowing a shot.
After your first inhale, you start feeling a slight rush that turns into a mellow feeling – but all euphoric. As you continue inhaling, the mellow feeling turns into a buzz that turns into being tipsy and so on. The inventor, Julie Palmer, stated that because of the limited volume of the Vaportini glass, combined with the slow-burning nature of the candles – it ensure the alcohol in a given spirit is evaporated very gradually. She clarified this means that it takes approximately 20 minutes to consume just an ounce of alcohol. This is important, because the consumption of large amounts of alcohol, in a very short amount of time, can be dangerous. So, the Vaportini counters this by offering a more gradual vaporization method. However, you don’t want the process being too lengthy either – you want to the ability to get buzzed easily – which the Vaportini seems to do right.
So how is it? As you may already know, we do not recommend this item for the best method of vaping alcohol. Here’s five reasons why you should opt for other devices:
- Made of Glass – Although glass allows for a clean method of consuming alcohol, it is easily shattered. One light push or slip onto the floor and the device will shatter.
- Not Very Portable – While it may make a nice unit for a social gathering (similar to a hookah), it’s not very portable. There are multiple components that you will need to carry should you decide to bring it over a friends place. And, as mentioned above, it’s glass so why would you risk moving this thing around?
- More expensive than other units – There are other units you can purchase that are cheaper and more effective. We are a strong supporter of the Vape Shot Pump that is only $19.99.
- Must eventually replace the Candle – The driving engine of the Vaportini, is its candle. Once the candle runs out of wax, there will be nothing else to burn and will render it useless. You will need to purchase spare candles if you wish to use this device long-term.
- Cleaning is difficult – As you can see by the picture on the right, the only way to clean the vaportini is through its access hole – the opening where the straws are inserted. There is really no easy way to scrub the interior so be prepared to have residue build up over time.
Currently, the market for alcohol vaporizers has just recently began to take off and there are only a few official devices on the market at this time. However, this won’t be the case for too long as people are trending towards healthier lifestyles. For now, there are two major competitors on the market:
- Vape Shot Pump – This device allows for portable vaporization without using heat. It also vaporizes in less than a minute. You can read more about the pump here.
- VapeShot – Not to be confused with the Vape Shot Pump – this device (or devices) comes in a commercial package or a mini-home package. These systems are quite pricey, however. They range from $1,499 (mini-home) to $16,000 (commercial). They essentially offer the same experience as the Vape Shot Pump, just with a bigger pr
ice tag. Review coming soon.
To sum, although the Vaportini offers a great alcohol vaping experience, the mechanism and build of the device is lacking. Further, while the main attraction of this device is its social usage (similar to a hookah where people can casually gather around a table), the device has multiple downfalls that may push consumers away. Specifically, because of the downfalls of it being made from glass, not being very portable, being pricier than competitor devices, parts must be regularly replaced, and also because cleaning the device is difficult, we do not recommend the Vaportini as a top pick for your vaping experience. Therefore, if you’re new to the whole vaping alcohol scene, we highly recommend trying the Vape Shot Pump as it’s cheaper, very portable, and easier to use.